“Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but rising up every time we fall.” —Oliver Goldsmith
Addiction Counseling in Birmingham, Alamaba
Is addiction controlling your life? Are you driven by cravings? Do you feel like there is no hope of escape?
The substance abuse counselors at Empower Counseling can help. Addiction is a chronic disease that grips you so tight, you may feel like there is no escape. Whether you are experiencing alcohol addiction, addiction to opioids or painkillers, or internet addiction: the result is the same. You feel like you have completely lost control of your life. Addiction is driving your every thought and action.
There is hope!
Our Birmingham, AL-based counseling practice offers outpatient addiction counseling according to your schedule to help you avoid relapse and get your life back on track.
Have you ever heard of Acceptance Commitment Therapy or ACT?
Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) is a cognitive-behavioral therapy, which means it not only addresses your thoughts but also your behaviors. ACT is a comprehensive, evidence-based method proven effective in treating alcohol, drug use, and addiction.
Addiction Counseling is key to recovery and avoiding relapse.
The substance abuse counselors with Empower Counseling can be the bridge between detox and lasting recovery. Oftentimes, addiction is the result of avoidance. Individuals turn to alcohol, other substances, or the internet and gaming when it feels like life is out of their control. Maybe they felt like the problem was so big you could not handle it. Maybe they thought if they hid from it long enough, it would disappear.
Alcohol, drugs, and other addictive forms of avoidance do actually work to control how you feel. They can help sometimes … in the short term … but there are always painful consequences. The problems that were there before you began drinking are there when you sober up. In fact, because of the avoidance of addressing these problems, these problems get bigger, not better, and leads you into a deeper cycle of avoidance.
Our substance abuse counselors can help!
Empower Counseling offers you a compassionate and experienced addiction counselor, Adam Elliott. Adam has worked for years leading individual and group counseling specifically for addiction. Not only that but Adam is also trained in Acceptance Commitment Therapy. Therefore, Adam is equipped with a unique and valuable combination of skills, education, and experience making him especially qualified to help you in your journey to recovery from your addiction.
Tell me more about the type of addiction counseling Empower offers!
As previously mentioned, addiction is usually caused by avoiding thoughts, feelings, and problems. Empower Counseling uses only evidence-based methods of treatment. Evidence-based means that research has found Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) is an effective treatment for addiction.
What should I do first if I have a problem with addiction?
- If you have a problem with alcohol or opioids, find a reputable treatment facility to detox. If you don’t know of any, reach out to Empower Counseling, and we will provide you with resources.
- Once you determine how long you will be in detox and/or inpatient treatment, contact Empower immediately.
- Set up your appointment with Empower for a time immediately after completing detox and/or inpatient treatment.
The Most Vulnerable Time for Relapse
The time directly after detox is a very vulnerable time for those addicted to alcohol or opioids. Detox does not solve the problem. It only sets the stage for solving the problem. Addiction counseling will help you solve the underlying problem that led to addiction. Counseling should be started immediately upon release from detox, so the opportunity to be triggered into relapse does not arise.
Can’t I just use willpower and gut it out?
You can, but it will not work. Alcohol and opioid addiction are chronic diseases. Willpower is merely a short-term solution that does not bring about long-term change. Why do you think diets only work temporarily? It is because even the toughest individuals with the most willpower run out of it after a while. Willpower is not a sustainable solution to addiction.
Empower Counseling offers Acceptance Commitment Therapy for addiction counseling. Instead of gutting it out with willpower to avoid relapse, ACT will help you get in touch with what you value most in every area of your life. We will help you uncover any thoughts making it difficult for you to take action toward what you value, what is important to you. Then we will help you take small, manageable steps toward what you value and what you want your life to look like. This is a long-term solution meant to take you from where you are right now, to being in control of your life and heading in the direction you want to go.
It is possible to take back your life from alcohol, opioid, and internet addiction.
In fact, it is possible to have a better life than you had before addiction became a problem. Now is the time to take charge of your life. Now is the time to create the life you want. Our substance abuse counselors are here to help you every step of the way.
What can I do for a loved one addicted to alcohol?
You can’t force anyone to get help who is not ready to receive it. But, if you have someone in your life who is ready to receive help, there are things you can do.
You can support your loved one by reducing the stigma regarding the help and services needed. You can also support him or her by understanding that alcohol addiction is not a moral failure, but a chronic medical addiction. You cannot stop your loved one from using or being dependent on alcohol, but you can offer your support in a way that is more likely to help rather than hurt.
Steps to Help Alcohol Addiction
- You can tell your loved one who is suffering from addiction that you will be there for them when they are ready to deal with their issues. When they are ready to deal with their alcohol addiction, you can line up the help they need.
- Start with finding a reputable treatment facility that regularly deals with detox and rehabilitation for alcohol dependence.
- Once you know how long your loved one will be in treatment, reach out to Empower Counseling.
- Make an appointment for your loved one with Empower for a time immediately following release from detox/rehab.
- Once they have begun their journey to recovery, offer connection and support.
Benefits of Addiction Counseling with Empower Counseling
Acceptance Commitment Therapy, or ACT, is a cognitive-behavioral therapy. This means we use ACT to address thoughts and behaviors.
Every behavior is designed to meet a need. Often times addictive behavior is a result of avoidance, as previously stated, in combination with a lack of positive coping skills. Drinking, drug use, and escape through the internet are coping skills, they just aren’t healthy ones.
Through the use of Acceptance Commitment Therapy for addiction, Empower will help you:
- Examine your life, increase self-awareness, and uncover the root of the problem that led to your addiction.
- Address these underlying issues that lead to addiction.
- Let go of old, unhealthy habits. Empower will use techniques to make it easier to let go of unhealthy habits and old ways of coping.
- Establish new, healthy habits and thoughts.
- Do a deep dive into what you value in every area, or domain of life.
- Take action toward what you value and become the person you want to be, in small, manageable steps.
- Take your life back from addiction.
Begin Addiction Counseling in Birmingham, AL
Alcohol addiction counseling and support for opioid and internet addiction are readily available to you. Addiction counseling with Empower is the bridge between detox and the life you want. Reach out to Empower Counseling to schedule an appointment today. Our experienced, compassionate substance abuse counselor is ready to help you.