Kathryn Ely, MA, LPC, NCC
Founder of Empower Counseling
What Sets Me Apart as a Therapist in Birmingham, AL
I founded Empower Counseling because I knew there was a better way to treat anxiety: Acceptance Commitment Therapy or ACT.
With patience and compassion, we will begin therapy by asking what you want and need from your therapy. Then I only use effective evidence-based treatment to help you reach your counseling goals. My intent as your counselor is to help you reach, and even surpass, your therapy goals as quickly and as effectively as possible.
I work with clients who feel like you, find hope and break free from what has been keeping you stuck. Through ACT, not only do you become “unstuck”, you also learn exactly what direction you want to take in your life, and the actions that will get you there.
I am advanced trained in using Acceptance Commitment Therapy and specialize in working with individuals who seek counseling for:
- Anxiety – Generalized (GAD), Social (SAD), Performance, Panic Attacks
- Depression Counseling
- Difficult Life Transitions – High School to College, College to Working, New Career, Other Significant Loss or Change
- Counseling and Guidance for College Students
- Teen Counseling
- Counseling for Professionals
- Finding Purpose and Meaning
Licensed Professional Counselor, National Certified Counselor,
Advanced trained in ACT
Kathryn’s Education & Training
I am an Licensed Professional Counselor in Birmingham, Alabama. I have a Masters Degree in Clinical Mental Health and advanced training in Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT). My educational background includes:
- Master of Arts, Clinical Mental Health from University of Alabama, Birmingham
- Law Degree (Juris Doctor) from University of Alabama
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science from Birmingham-Southern College
- UAB Community Counseling Clinic, a one year counseling internship
I have been fortunate to work with adolescents and adults of all ages, with varying issues and diagnoses, including but not limited to:
- Low self-esteem
- Bipolar Disorder
- Trauma and Abuse
- Suicidal Ideations
I use the same evidence-based advanced training in ACT to achieve success with my coaching clients that I use with my counseling clients.
The FUn Stuff
I love my dogs, Cooper and Otis. They are so funny. Cooper is a black Labrador Retriever and Otis is a chocolate Lab. Ever since Cooper was a small puppy, he would trot up to Otis and sit down on him, then slide down into the crook of Otis between his front legs and his back legs. Sometimes he just lays his head on top of Otis or Otis lays his head on Cooper.
I have 3 children, 2 boys and a girl. You can imagine the dynamic.
If I could only choose one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be lobster. If I could choose a second food, it would be cashews.
One of my favorite movies ever is The Blind Side. I think it is a moving example of what can happen in the world when we listen to our hearts.
Let’s Get To Work
I offer many services through online therapy in Alabama and in my Birmingham-based counseling clinic. My services include counseling for anxiety, depression, and technology use. As an online therapist in Alabama, I also work with college students at UofA and Auburn via online therapy. In addition, I work with teens and young adults. When you’re ready to get started, follow these steps:
1. Contact Kathryn by filling out the form below.
2. Get to know your caring and compassionate therapist.
3. Start your journey to a more fulfilling life today and tackle the problems that are in your way.
If you would like to make an appointment with Kathryn, or have any questions, please call (205) 730-6570.
If you would like to email Kathryn, please complete the contact form below.