Coronasomnia is real and Empower Counseling in Birmingham, Alabama can help.
It is national sleep awareness week. Recently Dr. Michael Breus, sleep specialist, stated on the Today Show that Cornonasomnia is a real thing.
Nearly 40% of adults in the United States are experiencing sleep issues during Covid pandemic.
Our sleep is greatly dependent upon our routines. And all of our routines have seen changes since the beginning of the pandemic. These lifestyle changes that lead to the change of our routines are affecting our sleep.
Think about it. Your pre-Covid Routine probably involved getting up early and getting ready for school or work outside of your home. This included showering, dressing and eating breakfast. It might also have involved exercising first thing in the morning. Believe it or not, all of these parts of your routine contribute to a good night’s sleep.
Here are some of the changes in routines that are directly affecting our ability to sleep as a country :
If you are experiencing problems with your sleep, Empower Counseling in Birmingham, Alabama can help. We specialize in ACT for anxiety. Meanwhile, here are some reasons you might not be sleeping well.
1. On the whole we are spending more hours at home and moving less. When we work at home we are naturally getting less movement. We aren’t walking to and from our cars, or anywhere else for most of the day.
2. Less levels natural light which keeps circadian rhythm in tact. This is a big one. We need natural sunlight for several reasons. One big reason we need natural light is that it helps regulate our internal clock or circadian rhythm.
3. More working hours. When we work from home, it is easier to begin work earlier and work later.
4. Blurred boundaries between work and home life. We are now working in the same place we live and relax, which can get confusing.
5. Less social activities that decrease stress. We are not going out to dinner, and other activities with friends. Such activities typically get us out of our own heads and away from stress and anxiety.
Sleep is one of the most critical jobs our bodies have to do
Everything we do better with a good night of sleep
Empower Counseling in Birmingham, Alabama makes the following suggestions for a better night’s sleep:
- Keep your wake time consistent. Wake time consistency is even more important for good sleep than consistent bed time.
2. Exercise. Your body needs to move and get some energy out. There are plenty of exercise that you can do at home…squats, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.
3. Go outside in the sunlight, especially in the morning. Sunlight signals our bodies to stop producing melatonin and to wake up!
4. If at all possible, do not work in the room where you sleep. If you have no other place to work than your bedroom, put away all signs of work at the end of your day.
5. Watch your caffeine and alcohol intake. Stop drinking alcohol at least 3 hours before bed.
For even more on this story visit the Today Show website.
For help with anxiety and depression which can cause many sleep issues, reach out to Empower Counseling today at 205-730-6570. Kathryn will set up an appointment for you! Empower Counseling is a Birmingham area counseling clinic serving Homewood, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Hoover and other surrounding areas. We offer individual therapy for teens, college students, young adults, and professionals.